January 14, 2008

Del Toro's El Orfanato

The Orphanage (El Orfanato) opened nationwide this past weekend and horror fan that I am, I dutifully attended. Reviews that I had seen compared it to The Others (2001) and I guess I see that.

The story begins with young Laura playing in the orphanage with her friends as the house mother facilitates her adoption. The story shifts to approximately 30 years later and Laura has bought the old orphanage with the goal of turning it into a home for special needs children. She has moved her husband, Carlos, and their son, Simon, who was also adopted, into the house with her.

Simon, like any other only child who has been secluded from other children his own age, has "imaginary" friends - friends who tell him that he is just like them. When Laura asks what that means, Simon angrily tells her she's not his mother and he's going to die (Simon, we learn earlier in the story in a moment of situational irony, was born HIV positive but doesn't know).

To avoid spoilers, I will say this. See The Orphanage. If you enjoy a good ghost story, see it. If you like tear jerker endings, see it. I really don't want to spoil any secrets for my readers so I will leave it at that.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
a literary collection devoted to showcasing works of new and established fiction in the SF/F/DF/H genres. Our blogspot is an extension of the magazine focused on reviews and rants regarding that which is new and exciting in the world of SF/F/H